SQL Server 2008 Fix: SP1 Install Failure

 

For quite a while I could not install SQL Server 2008 SP1, as it reported a failed shared component installation – in this case, Books Online. Problem is I could not find the source MSI to fix it.

So here is how I solved the problem:  If any shared components installations result in a failed state, a Registry key is updated. SP1 reads these keys when it starts, and if the value is not “1” (in my case it was “3”) – it will stop. Seems ridiculous to me, but that’s how they do it.

And doing a repair may not fix it either – because you may have installed Books Online from an interim standalone MSI installer. if you try to find the original MSI to handle the repair, it might not be the correct one.

Edit this key (or the respective key for whatever your fail message says) and ensure that the value is 1:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft SQL Server\100\ConfigurationState\Sql_BooksOnline_Redist

That took care of that problem! Now I have a different issue, but I’ll tackle that one too. Hey! Its us against them!

Another little Gem Department

If you have ever used Alt-PrtScn to get a quick screen capture of an image for pasting into an article or blog post, you may have brought up MS Paint to CTRL-V paste it in there. The problem is, you get your image – but the canvas size may be much bigger. If you forget to drag the sides of the canvas in to match the size of the image before you save it, you may be very disappointed at the results!

Comments

  1. Anonymous10:26 AM

    Re: the screenshot gem...I prefer to use Paint.NET because when you choose to create a new image when there is one on the clipboard, it defaults the new image size to match. If you don't have Paint.NET (crazy talk, I know) you can leave your default image size in MS Paint small and it will auto-expand to just the right size as you paste in your screenshot, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  2. mario1:48 AM

    thanks! that worked for me

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous5:34 AM

    hi,
    I got the same probleem with SP1. I was updating the aql server via WSUS en it keeps giving me failed status.I couldn't see the last piece of reg key with "Sql_Booksonline_Redist"

    any idea's which key I have to remove?
    Thanks in Advance,
    Ted

    ReplyDelete
  4. hi,
    I got the same probleem with SP1. I was updating the aql server via WSUS en it keeps giving me failed status.I couldn't see the last piece of reg key with "Sql_Booksonline_Redist"

    any idea's which key I have to remove?
    Thanks in Advance,
    Ted

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

FIREFOX / IE Word-Wrap, Word-Break, TABLES FIX

Some observations on Script Callbacks, "AJAX", "ATLAS" "AHAB" and where it's all going.

IE7 - Vista: "Internet Explorer has stopped Working"