Acer Aspire One Windows 7 Restore

Recently my Acer Aspire One Netbook with Windows 7 on it crapped out. I have no idea why, but if you’ve got a netbook, then you know that to reconstitute everything you need to do it from a bootable USB Stick, because there isn’t any “DVD” drive on these little puppies.

I tried a number of solutions that I found online, but the only one that worked for me was the following:

 

1) insert your USB stick (4GB or higher).

2) FORMAT – NTFS

3) Copy the contents of the Windows 7 DVD onto the USB stick.

4) Set your netbook BIOS to Boot from “USB HDD” as the first option.

5) Boot off the USB, let Windows 7 setup come up, and do a new installation (the “Repair my computer option only comes up if you run Windows setup from an existing instance of Windows 7, which I couldn’t get).

6) Install Windows 7.

 

This may seem overly simplistic, but it worked for me. Of course, since you have a new windows 7, you’ll need to install all your favorite software.

Comments

  1. Nicholas P1:33 PM

    Does this apply to other acer aspire laptops that are not netbooks? This looks like a better solution than having to buy an external cd drive to reinstall windows.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

FIREFOX / IE Word-Wrap, Word-Break, TABLES FIX

Some observations on Script Callbacks, "AJAX", "ATLAS" "AHAB" and where it's all going.

IE7 - Vista: "Internet Explorer has stopped Working"