Visual Studio 2010 Beta 1 – and Install Fix

Recently Microsoft made Visual Studio 2010 available to MSDN Universal subscribers, and will shortly make it available to the general public as well. Previously this had only been available as a closed MVP limited CTP downloadable on Connect.

Visual Studio 2010 provides some really attractive advances, particularly in the area of dynamic languages (F# now being a full-fledged Visual Studio language choice), Workflow (with a brand new workflow engine), Cloud computing (Azure), and – for Silverlight developers – not only is there now a full interactive drag-and-drop designer window, but you can choose whether you want to develop with Silverlight 2 – or Silverlight 3 – all from the same IDE!

I’ve installed this on my primary development desktop machine alongside Visual Studio 2008, and while it hasn’t been long enough (only 2 days) to make firm determinations, so far I have not seen any “interferences” from having both products installed at all.

If you are interested in a detailed rundown of all the new features of Visual Studio 2010, go here. There is also a main Documentation page online that has walkhthroughs, code samples, and much more.

A FIX FOR .NET FRAMEWORK 1.0 ISSUES

On my laptop, Visual Studio 2010 and the .NET Framework 4 Beta installers failed, claiming that I had to remove .NET Framework 1.0 first. Unfortunately for me, it would not uninstall.  Aaron Stebner to the rescue, once again! This Microsoftie knows more about installer issues than God, I swear!  You can download his “.NET Framework Cleanup Tool”, run it, and it will take care of everything. Once that is done, you will be able to install Visual Studio 2010 and the .NET Framework 4.0 Betas.

Comments

  1. Peter,

    I am running Vista Ultimate and was unable to install VS 2010 because Windows XP SP2 is not installed. I could not find anything on the web, have you seen or heard any info?

    Aloha,
    Kevin

    ReplyDelete
  2. At home I'm running two express editions + VS2005 and I'm having no problems as well.

    I also converted an existing webapplication and it just kept working. Amazing.

    I blogged about a VS2010 as well. A few IDE tips for developers: http://jclaes.blogspot.com/2009/05/visual-studio-2010-few-tips-for.html

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

FIREFOX / IE Word-Wrap, Word-Break, TABLES FIX

Some observations on Script Callbacks, "AJAX", "ATLAS" "AHAB" and where it's all going.

IE7 - Vista: "Internet Explorer has stopped Working"