SQL Server 2008 RTM - First Experiences

FACTOID: B-2 bombers are capable of dropping 85 500-pound bombs in a single run.

I installed SQL Server 2008 RTM Developer Edition this evening. First it installed .NET Framework 3.5 SP1, no problems. Then we went with the full install and I chose an Upgrade over SQL Server 2005. Everything went fine until the prerequisites check, and it reported FAIL on Visual Studio 2008 - saying that SP1 was required.

Well, I already went through this stuff with Visual Studio 2008 SP1 Beta and it clobbered Silverlight.

So, when you guys solve this issue and provide a Visual Studio 2008 SP1 that preserves all my existing Silverlight 2 BETA 2 work and doesn't put me out of business - then I'll be happy to install SQL Server 2008. Meanwhile, I'm choosing the safe route, which is to keep my powder dry.

Be advised.

UPDATE (8/8/2008): 

According to Microsoft sources, VS 2008 SP1 will be accompanied by a new Silverlight Tools Beta 2 chainer.  The new chainer will have the patch for VS SP1 RTM, and SP1 beta will no longer be supported at that point.

The final Silverlight 2 release is still a ways off.  This is good news. 

NOTE: An interesting statistic: As of Aug 9th, Since August 1, 2008, NBCOlympics.com has accumulated more than 127 million page views, nearly half the total for the entire Athens Games. I bet that is one heck of a lot of Silverlight installations.

Comments

  1. Thanks Pete for the comment. I was going install 2008 when I returned from vacation...I will now have to double think that...

    ReplyDelete
  2. @kevin, Yep. I didn't mean it to sound negative even if it came out that way. It's just that I and many others had issues with Silverlight getting clobbered by the VS2008 SP1 Beta and now that SQL 2008 requires it, I found it particularly frustrating.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It requires VS 2008 SP1 *RTM* to be installed, since you cannot have both SP0 and SP1 installed side-by-side (and for instance Management Studio is based on the VS shell). It will be released in a few days. I've read Aug 11 somewhere. And needless to say, you can of course install SS 2008 on a server without VS 2008.

    ReplyDelete
  4. If as you say that VS2008 SP1 RTM will be out in a few days, that is excellent news.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous5:34 PM

    VS 2008 SP1 RTM on August 11th! What is the excellent about it ? It should released already since the only way to test your apps with SQL 2008 and VS 2008!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yikes! Let's give them 3 days worth of slack!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

FIREFOX / IE Word-Wrap, Word-Break, TABLES FIX

Some observations on Script Callbacks, "AJAX", "ATLAS" "AHAB" and where it's all going.

IE7 - Vista: "Internet Explorer has stopped Working"