GOT BUGS? VS.Net 2005 RTM: The infamous "Bouma Bug", et al

Frans found a particularly nasty one.

There are others:

http://blogs.x2line.com/al/archive/2005/11/05/1299.aspx


http://weblogs.asp.net/rosherove/archive/2005/11/04/429455.aspx



This is annoying stuff, the Bouma Bug is particularly nasty since the whole concept of a code editor is that you should be able to type anything into it, whether right or wrong. In this particular case it's Intellisense going into an endless loop.
I had no difficulty reproducing this with Frans' sample code block; the instant I attempted to type in an opening brace, the entire IDE froze and I had to kill the process to get back my desktop.

It was actually reported by a user, but it was so late in the RTM release process that they decided to let it go. Of course, there's a workaround for almost everything...

You'll get two schools of thought on this type of thing. I believe that nobody releases perfect software and you have to pick a point at which you are going to release your product with the proviso that you understand what the issues are and will take every step possible to provide fixes, workarounds, or Service Pack(s) as soon as is humanly possible.

The other school would have us wait until mid 2006 to get the product, at which time I can assure you that there will still be bugs of one type or another!

In addition, my Ladybug submission of the "Snapin Failed to Initialize" for the August CTP with the Microsoft .NET Framework Configuration Control Panel Applet is STILL BROKEN on my x64 box under RTM, and I've reopened the bug.

My Grandmother, who lived to be 100, always said that "The way to understand recursion is to understand recursion."



Comments

  1. Anonymous6:43 PM

    I also have tons of issues with VS.NET. It's VS that's bad though not the .NET framework. The Framework seems solid and faster for most projects I've thrown at it now.

    I think it's really a shame they shipped the product as buggy as it is. Many of the issues that are being reported are known bugs that were reported prior to release and didn't make it into the release builds. Some are design issues. They've had years to get this stuff right - adter all the product shipped nearly a year and a half later than originally planned.

    It's not surprising given the complexity of this monumentally monolithic IDE.

    I'm not sure whether to be pissed off or relieved that it finally is out. While I think it's annoying there are problems, I find it hard to look back and want to go back to VS2003 either. There are so many things - especially in the Web forms interface for me that make VS2005 so much easier to use it's very hard to think of going back. Not to mention key framework features like generics...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Rick.
    Yup. Well said. I'm a little PO'ed about it, but not really mad, just glad that from now on hopefully the only stuff I'll be installing is hotfixes or Service Packs!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

FIREFOX / IE Word-Wrap, Word-Break, TABLES FIX

Some observations on Script Callbacks, "AJAX", "ATLAS" "AHAB" and where it's all going.

IE7 - Vista: "Internet Explorer has stopped Working"